I'll be posting all my workouts here...well, maybe not all. But if you're interested in following what I'm doing feel free to read and/or join me!

Monday, July 17, 2006

Race Day!!

I DID IT!!

It's over and done with. The stress of it all, washed away in the hot bath I enjoyed Sunday night.

Like I said, 5:00 a.m. comes early. Sunday was no exception. I had prepped everything the night before in hopes of not disturbing Omi too much when I got up. Well, that was blown right out of the water (water being a key word in this adventure...) when I couldn't find me car keys...seriously.

I HAD LOCKED THEM IN MY CAR.

My first thought was, "This is a sign. First your bike inexplicably breaks, it's pouring rain, and now you've locked your keys in you car for the first time in forever (first time in Japan for sure). Maybe you're not meant to race."

I had left one window open about 1cm...

So my second thought was, "Quit being a baby, unlock your damn car and get going."

Omi is my hero. He got a coat hanger and some pliers, and I was on my way in less than 10 minutes.

It was 5:30 a.m. the race started at 9:00. I had to register AGAIN at 6:00 and catch the bike course bus AGAIN at 6:30. I managed to get there in time. I got my number written on my arm (#18) -something I was looking forward to. I've always loved that look -big black numbers scrawled on the athletes...

While waiting for the bus a super friendly lady started talking to me. It was her first time too. We started the conversation in Japanese, but she soon revealed that she spoke English as well -yay for me!!! We rode the bus together and tried to figure everything out -where to put our bikes and other equipment, when to go to the pool, etc.

At 8:30 the opening ceremonies started, everyone huddled under umbrellas while the dignitaries were protectd under open tents. Yes, it was still pouring rain. Sometimes it eased into a drizzle, but for the most part it was full on rain. They announced that they would decide 10 minutes before the race whether it would go ahead or not...

It went ahead. I had my new suit on, I had been packing my cap and goggles with me most of the morning, my running shoes and other gear were in my back pack, under a plastic bag, in a basket beside my bike. I was ready.

We headed to the pool where we lined up in order by the number on our arms. The lifeguard spotted my earrings and told me I had to take them out. Yeah, right. I told him I couldn't (which is true for one of them) and he said that I'd have to tape them!! What?!? Are you kidding me? I showed my displeasure and annoyance and he trotted off to get tape. In the mean time I put my cap on and pulled it down over my ears, covering my earrings. When he came back he realized that my solution was better, I gave him a polite bow and we both went away happy.

The swim was 750m. I had to start in one lane, swim to the other end, and then go under the lane rope into the next lane, swim down, go under the rope, swim down, go under. 6 laps in all, then I had to get out, walk back to the first lane, get in and repeat this 5 times. Each time you go out, someone was standing with arm bands that you had to wear for the rest of the swim. This was to keep track of how many laps everyone did, of course. The thing is, they were big and unless I pulled them right up to my shoulder, they'd slip down my arm. I remember seeing quite a few floating on the bottom of the pool as I swam. Not the best idea. It was fun fighting and clawing my way through the lanes. I loved passing all the 'big boys' without any problem. It got a little nuts at the end of the lanes when everyone was fighting to get under and push off at the same time. I held my own quite nicely!

I was one of the first people out of the pool. I got out, jogged to my bike and told myself to take it easy, be thorough...everything was wet and slippery. I had to get my mole skin on and then my socks and shoes. More people started coming out and were on their bikes before I had my shoes tied! Oh well. As they say here, "My pace".

Ok, the swim was a breeze. I hadn't let myself think about the bike too much (to preserve energy mainly), but now it was here and I was on a bike that I no longer trusted and what could I do but pedal!!

What can I say? It was hard. On the first hill I was passed by nearly everyone. I didn't let it bother me, I just got to the top, took a rest on the first descent and kept my mind on the road. The downhill was scary in the rain. Very slick, I think I wore out my breaks. But of course, I inevitably reached the halfway point, turned around and started the last 10km. Like I said, pretty much everyone had passed me by this time - I was just pleased that I had finished without crashing!!

From the bike to the run all I had to do was take of my helmet basically. The first lap felt pretty good, I knew the blister tape wasn't really sticking at this point, it was saturated with water, but
I couldn't feel any rubbing yet. The second lap came surprisingly quick and I was still upright and keeping a good pace. The 3rd lap was tough, half way and I started cramping a bit. I decided to slow down for some water and then just told myselft that I had to be patient and finish this lap before thinking about the last. Also, my suit had started rubbing at the neck line and it was stinging quite a bit. The last lap was tough. I was spent. But I kept my pace, enjoyed the cheering as I came into the finishing area and absorbed the idea that I had completed my first tri. It was a very good feeling.

After the race the woman I had met came and congratulated me. We went back to the pool together, I took a nice long shower and then enjoyed the free food -fresh vegetable stew and rice balls. All of this in the pouring rain of course. I hadn't been dry since 6:00 a.m.

My official time was 2 hours 28 seconds. So close to breakng 2 hours! Next time I'll definitely wear a watch and keep track of my times. I didn't do it for any part of the race.

Lessons learned: Quit panicking!!! and Patience -finish one thing before thinking about the next.

Loved it. Will definitely do it again!

Thanks to everyone who sent me good luck messages on my keitai that morning! You totally helped me get through my day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!

Linea said...

arigatou!