I'll be posting all my workouts here...well, maybe not all. But if you're interested in following what I'm doing feel free to read and/or join me!

Monday, January 16, 2006

Natsukashi

I started going to the gym in Kurobe about 5 months ago - I really enjoy being back in that atmosphere and this particular gym reminds me a lot of the GPRC facilities for some reason.
The gym is my 'alone' time. I really get focused riding the bike and even in the weight room amongst all the chatter and flexing...haha. As with most gyms there are regulars - I wouldn't call myself that quite yet, but I'd really like to be. I've gotten more familiar with some of the other patrons and as my Japanese progresses, I find that I'm enjoying each visit more and more.

But probably the best part of the Kurobe gym is the staff. They are a great group- very friendly and helpful. The made me feel welcome right away and always make an effort to at least say hi whenever I go. There is one staff member in particular who I am happy to say has become a friend of mine. Her name is Yuki and from the first time I met her, I knew that we'd be friends. She is outgoing, outspoken, and FUN! We have similar backgrounds in that we have both been lifeguards and swim teachers. She was a discus thower in university and has worked in the recreation/sports industry for the ten years.

But on to the real reason I'm posting...

On Sunday I went for lunch with Yuki and afterwards, she had planned to introduce me to one of the prefecture's top swim coaches, a guy she used to work with at a pool years ago. He coaches in Toyama city and so we drove in to Toyama to meet him. Toyama city has some really nice swimming facitities, including a 50m pool which is part of a huge recreation centre. The moment I stepped on the deck and saw the swimmers in the water and the coaches on deck, stop watches in hand....

SO, now I have another reason to learn Japanese - I'd love to be back on deck!!!!!! I miss it so much. It was my life for 12 years and I'd really love the opportunity to do something here. There is a small club in Kurobe, but it's only developmental swimmers. Maybe I could start there and convince these guys in Toyama to let me come on deck once or twice a month.

There were actaully two coaches on deck and both of them had gone to Syndey for the Olympics. The swimmers in the water that day were high school and university/college students all of whom were pretty high level athletes. The coaches were totally willing to show me their workout and let me talk to the swimmers during practice.

AGH!! I really want to be back on deck!

Just one more thing to add to my plate!

No comments: