I'll be posting all my workouts here...well, maybe not all. But if you're interested in following what I'm doing feel free to read and/or join me!

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Well, we survived. Not without the help of ibuprofen for me...but it was a great experience and I'm learning to try things even when I know I'm not going to be good at it. I think that's my biggest fault when it comes to competing. If I don't think I can do well, then I don't try. Well, yesterday I tried. The results weren't what I wanted, but the fact that I dove in and finished both my races were a big stepping stone for me. I don't think I could have done it alone, I really needed Kirsten there to talk me through it. And I thank her for putting up with all my whining (and providing the drugs!!) regarding my shoulder.

I only had one major glitch of the day...I thought I was swimming 50 free which was scheduled for the afternoon, but I was down for the 100 free instead which was one of the first events!!! I didn't miss my swim, but I had some of my teammates in a panic over it.

The surprise of the day was my 200 Medley relay race. I was put on a team with 3 other swimmers who are all ex-compets -I was quite intimidated, especially since I was swimming BUTTERFLY!! It was my last race of the day, my shoulder was throbbing at this point, but Kirsten convinced me I'd be ok, and when we were waiting behind the blocks my teammates encouraged me with "MY PACE" -which basically means "go at your own pace". It made me feel a lot better and I even got a little bit excited about my first 50 fly!

We came in first!! We were all pretty excited about it and were giving high fives when they announced that we had broken the meet record!! It was a total suprise, especially for me! I don't think anyone got our splits unfortunately -most of the team missed our swim because they were in the marshalling area or they thought we were swimming in the other pool...haha. Oh well, I got to take home a gold medal nonetheless!


The day ended with a drinking party -of course...but Kirsten and I were so exhausted that we just stayed long enough to fill our bellies and collect our medals. It was a fun and fulfilling day. I had a great time, despite the shoulder and the exhaustion.
The next meet's in October...I guess if I'm staying in Japan another year, I should really try to improve my times.

100Free: 1:21.67 -blah!!!
25Back: 21.17 -I swear I was doing under 20 in practice -haha.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

You were AWESOME!!!! Thanks for being my swim buddy! I need someone to motivate me, push me and challenge me. I couldn't have done the meet without you! And it looks like now we are hooked! We have a full calendar now...swimming, snowboarding, hiking, camping, studying, etc. Oh, darn. Look at that...no time for boys! Oh well! Who needs them?

But really....OMG! You broke a meet record! That's amazing!! Now you have to keep swimming to try and break more records. If it can be done once, it can be done again. Think if you're team actually trained and practiced....you could set an all Japan record! Anything is possible!

Have you paid your membership dues yet??

Get on it!

Anonymous said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I know that you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to (and not just because you are stubborn...because you are talented as well!). Interesting that you can't "coach" yourself and that you need someone else to talk you into it...you know the stuff but it is not so easy to apply it to yourself...
What problems are you having with your shoulder?

Linea said...

sista k, no memebership yet. let's see if i'm staying in japan for another year first.

Fave Aunt: thanks!! the shoulder is just an overuse injury...it needs rest and repair, that's all (I hope). I have yet to find a good massage in this country -something that'll get these knots out between my shoulderblades....grrr.

Kirsten said...

dude...you're staying!!!! pay up!