I'll be posting all my workouts here...well, maybe not all. But if you're interested in following what I'm doing feel free to read and/or join me!

Monday, August 20, 2007

To work and back

I had to play at the children's center today. I say 'had to' because it wasn't by choice, but rather a demand by our BOE. I resent it, even though we are here not only in the capacity of 'teacher' but also under the guise of internationalization. There are other ways I would rather 'internationalize' for 2 hours, than playing dodgeball in an over heated gym with children who would be playing dodgeball regardless of my presence. I guess what gets me is the way it has been advertised. It's hard to translate the nuance of the title but it's something like 'come play with big brother and big sister'. I find it hard to take on the role 'big sister' for these children because most of them are my students during the rest of the year. I'm sure this is the only reason it bothers me so much. I don't want to be their 'friend' - yet of course I want to be friendly. The bottom line is that I see it as the BOE's view of my status here. It demotes me from the status of 'teacher', and puts me on a level where I'm just here to entertain.

Whew.

Bike: 16km

No comments: